Restaurant menu SEO: PDF or HTML? | SEO Forum | Moz
Welcome to the Q&A Forum
Browse the forum for helpful insights and fresh discussions about all things SEO.
Moz Q&A is closed.
After more than 13 years, and tens of thousands of questions, Moz Q&A closed on 12th December 2024. Whilst we’re not completely removing the content - many posts will still be possible to view - we have locked both new posts and new replies. More details here.
Restaurant menu SEO: PDF or HTML?
Is it better to use a PDF or hard code restaurant menus (or any document for that matter) in HTML? I want the content to be indexed and thought PDF was the way to go for several reasons, but I wanted to get confirmation on this before I move forward.
Responses
- BostonWright last edited by Aug 22, 2011, 9:27 AM
- YouON last edited by Aug 23, 2011, 12:30 AM
- brycebertola last edited by Aug 22, 2011, 12:44 PM
- KeriMorgret last edited by Aug 22, 2011, 9:43 AM
- ReneReinholdt last edited by Aug 22, 2011, 9:34 AM
Summary of Responses
BostonWright: Is it better to use a PDF or hard code restaurant menus (or any document for that matter) in HTML? I want the content to be indexed and thought PDF was the way to go for several reasons, but I wanted to get confirmation on this before I move forward.
YouON: Matt Cutts on PDF... Watch here
brycebertola: Lol, I was thinking about this exact article when I read the title.
KeriMorgret: From a user's perspective, be sure to look at how the site will show up on a mobile device. Here’s a great post from The Oatmeal about what users want vs what they get from a restaurant website in general.
ReneReinholdt: For SEO I would recommend HTML, with the option to download a PDF. That being said you should also consider how much time is wasted on doing it HTML. Can the company earn more money by spending their time on something else? I mean how often do people actually search for a certain dish when they are about to go out for dinner? My bet is that they are more likely to do a search like: "Italian restaurant in downtown Berlin" rather than "Broccoli slightly roasted in white-wine". Do you see what I mean?